For all you Dairy Farmers (Past as well!) out there, hats off to you! I couldn't do it! Boy am I glad that there are people who do, though! I hope no one ever hears me complain about the price of a gallon of milk ever again! We went to a museam while we were in New Mexico and let the boys have some time to get their energy out before our long drive home. They were able to take a ride on a little cart to see animals, see a cow get milked, sit on some tractors and they also had a play room where they got to learn to milk a cow (not a real one), ride on some little tractors and do some other fun activities. Anyway, while we were there we learned that the largest Dairy Farm in the Untied states was on our way home. It wasn't far out of the way so we decided to stop. They have 14,000 head and milk around the clock. They have about 2000 that get milked in the barn we saw and have 50 stalls and milk them all twice a day. I was interesting to see what Larry did on the farm. I do have to admit I was worried I was going to get hit and didn't want to stink for the remainder of the ride home. It is a good thing we didn't!
Ok in order to make this post a little more interesting, I have to tell a story. A story that I MADE Larry swear he would never tell any of you. But, I guess a good laugh isn't always the worst thing. ;) Well, about 6 months ago my dad took us out to see the land of a development that he was working on. While we were traveling we passed some animals and we were all pointing them out to the boys. Well, we came across what I thought was a cow. I went on to tell the boys that it was a cow and Larry said "No, that is a Bull." I continued to argue and plea my case that no one had ever once crossed a field of Cows and said, "Hey look there is a Bull." I also asked "OK fine if that is a Bull, then what does a Bull say?" We had a good laugh for a good half hour as I was completely disturbed that people always just say "Look there is a cow." "What does a cow say?" (To little kids.) Needless to say a couple of months ago I told my dad's neighbor this story after I said that Larry was raised on a Cow Farm. He was quick to tell me it was a Dairy farm and we got a good laugh. So, there you have it, I have it figured out now and am always careful to make sure I tell my boys if it is a Cow or a Bull! (And no, I don't explain why) (PS these pictures don't do justice!!! It was crazy how many cows there were, but hard to get a good picture. I wish I could have got a post card of the farm from above but their office was closed, so I couldn't see if they had one.)
1 comment:
WOW!!!!! That is kinda cool.
Post a Comment